Wednesday 14 April 2010

Day 10, and a massive turn for the worse...Matt's Story Pt 1


So we made it to Everest Base Camp, 5,300m and incredible views of the mountain and its surroundings. We had a culturally rich journey to get there filled with local food and traditions. However, while Pete is still fighting fit and acclimatising well with the rest of the team, I have been casevac'd back to the Norvic International Hospital in Kathmandu with a suspected case of pneumonia, High Altitude Pulmonary Eodema (HACE) and High Altitude Cerebral Eodema (HACE), all that after probably one of the worst stomach bugs I've ever experienced! At this stage the doctors are also concerned there may be a problem with my heart as well...sucks to be me!! I should get test results back tomorrow, and they will determine whether the second part of 'My Story' is a good one or a rubbish one.

For the moment it seems pointless getting down about things, I'm still alive! I don't feel bitter, or like I've failed, if you're willing to climb for the highest of highs, you've got to be ready for the fall, and that mountain will still be there next year!

Will update as soon as I get my results tomorrow.
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment